To help develop responsible teen drivers.
In the summer of 2017, Chaz Gower attended a driver education course instructed by retired Washington State Patrol Trooper Craig Metcalf.
On the last day of the course, Craig challenges his students to drive ticket free and at-fault collision-free for a lifetime by taking the 7 Driver Vows Pledge that they will:
- Not Speed
- Not Drink or Use Drugs
- Not Text
- Not Engage in Road Rage
- Avoid Distractions
- Ensure All Passengers Wear a Seat Belt
- Obey the Law
In addition he encourages them to implement a written Parent-Teen Driving Agreement.
After taking the Pledge, in the spirit of her Native American culture, Chaz gave each of her classmates a handmade multi color seed bead bracelet as a means to connect them (in essence creating an informal club); symbolize the Pledge; and signify they are a responsible driver.
Inspired by the positive effect her gift had on his students, Craig aptly named the method: Say It…Start It… Show It… and desired to extend that experience beyond his classroom.
So he founded the 7 Driver Vows Club LLC, initiated the Parent-Teen Driving Agreement Project (PTDA Project) and began inviting Driving Schools to incorporate the method into their curriculum.
Today, Driving Schools, Driver Education Instructors (DEI’s), and Teen Driver Safety Advocates continue to carry out the project’s mission.
- Has a passion for teen driver safety that began in high school when a friend was killed in a senseless car crash.
- Retired Washington State Patrol Trooper.
- Current Washington State Licensed Driving Instructor and DOL Examiner since 2007.
- Former 104th Training Division (USAR) Transportation Company Instructor and Examiner.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology, and Master’s Degree in Administration of Criminal Justice.
- Former Vice Chair and Instructor – Administration of Criminal Justice Program – Clark College Vancouver, Washington.
- Former guest speaker – Washington Traffic Safety Education Association.
- Former instructor – National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Defensive Driving Course.