To produce responsible teen drivers by helping them establish and maintain a proper mindset toward driving using a Say It…Print It…Carry It approach that will help them strive to drive ticket free and at fault collision free for a lifetime.
In the summer of 2017, Chaz Gower attended a driver education course instructed by retired Washington State Patrol Trooper Craig Metcalf.
On the last day of the course, Craig challenges his students to drive ticket free and at-fault collision-free for a lifetime by taking the 7 Driver Vows Pledge that they will:
- Not Speed
- Not Drink or Use Drugs
- Not Text
- Not Engage in Road Rage
- Avoid Distractions
- Ensure All Passengers Wear a Seat Belt
- Obey the Law
In addition he encourages them to implement a written Parent-Teen Driving Agreement.
After taking the Pledge, in the spirit of her Native American culture, Chaz gave each of her classmates a handmade multi color seed bead bracelet as a means to connect them (in essence creating an informal club); symbolize the Pledge; and signify they are a responsible driver.
Observing the positive reaction and constructive effect her gift had on his students, Craig was inspired to found the 7 Driver Vows Club LLC and initiate the Parent-Teen Driving Agreement Project (PTDA Project) ,
Today, Driving Schools, Driver Education Instructors (DEI’s), and Teen Driver Safety Advocates (TDSA’s) carry out the project’s mission by using it’s Say It…Print It…Carry It approach so teens throughout the USA can have the same experience.
- Has a passion for teen driver safety that began in high school when a friend was killed in a senseless car crash.
- Retired Washington State Patrol Trooper.
- Current Washington State Licensed Driving Instructor and DOL Examiner since 2007.
- Former 104th Training Division (USAR) Transportation Company Instructor and Examiner.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology, and Master’s Degree in Administration of Criminal Justice.
- Former Vice Chair and Instructor – Administration of Criminal Justice Program – Clark College Vancouver, Washington.
- Former guest speaker – Washington Traffic Safety Education Association.
- Former instructor – National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Defensive Driving Course.